Dovecot What's On Guide 1



Dovecot What's On Guide | August-December 2015

Designed by James Brook for Dovecot Studios, Edinburgh, 2015

210 x 148 mm | 12 pages with half cover
Printed by Allander, Edinburgh, on Vision Superior

I was asked to redesign the Dovecot Gallery What's On Guide, building on the pared back identity that I had started to develop on Dovecot's invitations, posters and banners. This is the first piece of print that I have designed for Dovecot that uses Whitney, the typeface that appears in the Dovecot logo (which was not designed by me) rather than Callibri. I'm very proud of this design and delighted with the way it turned out - I've enjoyed spotting it around Edinburgh! This is the cover of the guide, which I photographed earlier in the summer when I was busy with other things; I didn't get a chance to photograph the inside pages. The guide is twelve pages plus cover which is cut away on the front to reveal half of a full bleed image of a detail from a work by the wonderful textile designer Bernat Klein. The guide was printed by Allander on Vision Superior 200gsm for the cover and 120gsm for the text pages. My original intention was to have a gloss UV varnish on the outside of the cover to create a contrast with the uncoated stock on the inside but it turned out to be too expensive. I think that, in the end, the guide works perfectly without the gloss: the white of the paper looks crisp and clean against the image and is also pleasing to touch; and the half cover adds another layer of visual appeal. I'm looking forward to designing the second guide for January-July 2016.

















Archive

Search

Categories

Click here to subscribe to James Brook / Design

Please visit www.jamesbrook.net for more information

The content (content being images and text) of this website is copyright © James Brook
All rights expressly reserved
Powered by Blogger.